Nose hairs are a natural part of the human body, and everyone has them. Nose hairs help prevent potential allergens and other foreign objects from entering the nostrils. They also help keep air moist as it comes into the nasal passages.
Although nose hairs are perfectly normal, some people find long hairs that protrude from the nostrils to be a source of embarrassment that they wish to remove.
It is generally safe for people to remove nose hair by either trimming it with a nose hair trimmer or undergoing laser hair removal.
Trimming with a nose hair trimmer
Nose hair trimmers can be manual or electric. Manufacturers have designed both types to fit into a person’s nostril safely without damaging the sensitive tissues inside it.
Manual nose hair trimmers are small scissors with blunt or rounded ends.
Electric trimmers are handheld devices with small, rotating cutting blades at one end. The blades sit inside a plastic or metal guard, which stops them from contacting the skin. Small slits in the guard allow longer hairs to enter the cutting mechanism below.
A person should be able to find both manual and electric nose hair trimmers at their local drugstore or pharmacy. The trimmers may be available separately or as part of a personal grooming kit.
Nose hair trimmers are very easy to use. Some general tips for using these devices include:
- blowing the nose before trimming to get rid of any mucus around the hairs
- using a magnifying mirror to see the hairs in more detail
- leaning the head back when trimming to increase visibility inside the nostrils
- placing the trimmers close to the skin when trimming
- cutting only the most visible hairs and leaving the rest intact
- blowing the nose again afterward to remove any loose hairs
The advantage of nose hair trimmers is that they allow a person to shorten only one or two protruding hairs. As a result, the majority of hairs remain intact and able to protect the airways.
The most significant disadvantage of nose trimmers is that the hairs will grow back. When this happens, a person will need to trim them again.
Laser hair removal
Laser hair removal is another safe option for removing nose hair. However, it is an expensive option, and a person’s health insurance will not cover the costs.
Laser hair removal targets hairs that are visibly protruding from the nose. It works by heating up and destroying the hair follicle at the root of the hair.
Unlike trimming, laser hair removal offers a more permanent solution for problematic nose hairs. However, people usually require at least six sessions for the hair to stop growing back.
People should ensure that only a board-certified dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon performs laser hair removal. It is also important to have a consultation with the laser therapy practitioner before going ahead with the treatment. Some questions to ask during this consultation include:
People may also request to see before-and-after photos of the practitioner’s previous clients.
A person should avoid other nose hair removal techniques, which include:
- Using hair removal cream: Hair removal creams may burn the delicate skin and mucous membranes inside the nostril. They may also produce toxic fumes, which a person could breathe in through the nose.
- Waxing and plucking: Waxing or plucking the nasal hair can lead to ingrown hairs and infections. These methods could also damage the sensitive tissues inside the nostrils.
- Using pointed scissors: A person should also avoid trimming the nose hair with nail scissors or other small scissors with sharp points. The points can easily puncture the delicate mucous membranes inside the nostril, and this could lead to pain and infection.
According to the findings of a 2011 study, nasal hair has a protective function as it helps prevent allergens from entering the nostril. Removing too much hair means that a person with seasonal allergies or asthma may be more vulnerable to allergens.
As a result, people should only ever target the visible hairs that they deem to be unsightly. Keeping the other hairs intact allows them to fulfill their important functions.
Trimming and laser hair removal are two methods of removing nose hair that are generally safe.
Trimming is a relatively inexpensive method of nose hair removal. However, a person will need to repeat the procedure each time the hair grows back.
A more permanent but expensive option is laser hair removal. People should only receive this treatment from a board-certified dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon.
People should keep in mind that nose hairs serve important functions. Therefore, when removing nose hairs, it is best to trim or treat only the visible hairs.